Tuesday, December 23, 2008

How to Become an Expert in your Field



Hey, this is Dion again, the paperchaser.

Yes, i am still in the game!
Here lately, i have been trying to establish myself as an expert in the field of personal growth and network marketing.

How are you doing that, you might ask.

Well, I have always had a dream/goal of writing my own book.

I know that this gives you a certain amount of credibility and expert status, so naturally I
figured out that I could use this knowledge to build my business also. But, like many would
be writers, the task takes on monumental proportions once it is begun!

But, as I have learned in my studies of personal growth, once you take an action, then that action
takes on a life of its own. It will continue to move until the force that initiated it begins to fall.
I am getting old enough to know this is absolutely true. Hence, I don't do much, without matching that decision against my definite major purpose in life. If it doesn't help me reach that
definite major purpose, I usually don't do it. Another good method to check your actions and decisions is to try and see how it will logically 'play out'. This takes some practice, but as you gain experience you become very good at seeing the end, before you take the action.

This whole idea of becoming an expert in your chosen field is not new. I first read about it back in 2000. The book was called 'The Independent Scholar's Handbook'. I have not been able to find another copy of the book since then. But, inside this book, they spoke of people who had no degrees, yet had focused on a subject consistently enough to become the expert. They also went on to write books about the subject and became well known authorities on the subject!

Mind you, these were ordinary people, without Professional Degrees.

They simply found a subject that they liked or loved and spent time in study.

For me, the choice of subject matter was simple. I study philosophy and personal growth anyway. I don't need anyone to tell me to do that! I love the stuff! It is a natural fit for me, because I love it.

Key: It is not difficult to focus on something you are interested in.

Haven't they always told us to find your passion and then make that your vocation?

Okay, after saying all of that, here is a quote that brings it all home:
"If you study for an hour per day on any given subject, you would become an expert in about 5 years."

That is not an exact quote, but it captures the meaning of a quote I recently heard. Incidentally, I heard this quote, because i am constantly learning from other experts in the personal growth field. That quote was made a long time ago.

Within that quote, you have the basis for a program of study that could catipult you to the top of your field!

I could have started the article with that quote, and not added anything to it! It is so simple, yet so powerful!

And it is also, easy to do, and easy not to do.

Small improvements (investments) made over a period of time will compound into huge results over time.

The best example of this statement is 'compounding interest' you gain in the stock market.

I could ramble on and on, but it is not necessary. It is simple.

I am doing it now, as I write this article. Anytime I write, I am polishing my skills, little by little.

I am reinforcing the knowledge I have gained, and at the same time becoming a better writer.

"Repitition is the mother of skill."

Until next time, make sure you get that extra rep, even though we are not talking about doing bench presses!

Dion Morrison, the Paperchaser

No comments: